Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Divine Miss R.

So to put it bluntly, this my tribute post to the oh-so-fabulous and exotic 8th wonder of the world known simply as RuPaul. Or as I've nicknamed her, the Divine Miss R (for you straighties, that's in honour of Bette Midler).

Where to start! I was first captivated by this dazzling performer while on vacation in florida with my family when I was 10. It was the one rainy day during our trip and so my family stayed in our little motel room, watching american tv when my brothers found MTV and lo and behold whose video was playing? RuPaul's "Supermodel" at first I thought in my innocence "That pretty lady has pretty hair" and then my brother asked my Dad "Hey Tata, is that a man or a woman?" My dad responded "THAT'S a man?!" And I think the world may have stopped spinning. For the next 3 minutes I was speechless.

Back in Canada, I never saw RuPaul again. It would be 9 long years until we were reunited again.

The next time I saw RuPaul, I had burst from my closet and was in my first year at Civil Engineering at the University of Toronto. Meeting my first clump of gay friends, being informed of the latest movies to watch, I was told to watch "But I'm a Cheerleader" I did and my jaw dropped again, THERE WAS RUPAUL! But not in drag, but still spectacular! Can you imagine the most glamourous woman in the world teaching a bunch of mo's how to be men? The result? PURE hilarity!

So I began to google and found www.rupaul.com and that's where this wonderful picture arose. If you all didn't know that this ravaging beauty was a man, would you think it? I doubt it very much. It's not so much the clothes (or lack there of) but the pose, the laugh, the tilt of the headand shoulders - in short form, the glamour. If RuPaul was a guest judge on America's Next Top Model I just might explode (literally and metaphorically).

THAT'S why I think the world of Miss Thang over here; she's the most glamourous man I've ever seen.

No comments: